Here is a step-by-step tutorial on how to make an origami heart bookmark. You can use any type of printed paper to make these!
Now I will say that true origami does not need an adhesive, but I do use some tape at the end to hold it better to be a functional bookmark.
Materials needed to make an origami heart bookmark:
- 5″ x 2.5″ piece of paper (I don’t recommend thicker scrapbook paper or cardstock as it will be too difficult for intricate folds on paper too thick.
- Take your 5″ x 2.5″ piece of paper and fold it in half length ways (hot dog bun)
2. Fold that in half again the other way (hamburg bun)
3. Open up that fold and take the right side and fold up along the crease.
4. Do the same on the other side
5. Now take the the top and fold down about 1/2″.
6. Do that on both sides.
7. Fold inner corners and make a sharp crease.
8. Fold the outer corner in to fully create a the top of the heart shapes.
9. Here is where I added some tape to keep the flaps down flush to the back paper.
You will still have an opening on the bottom half of the heart – which is where the corner of the book pages goes into to hold your place in the book.
I put this on a bottom page, but you can put it on any corner.
You can make a bunch of these in one sitting and use them as birthday party favors, or stocking stuffers, or as back to school gifts with a little note on them telling your kids you love them! 🙂
Looking for more origami project ideas? Check these out: