I have ordered boxes of organic produce from Misfits Market a few times now, per the recommendation of my sister-in-law. Since I get asked a lot about how to save money on healthy food, especially organic, I thought I’d share my experience with you on getting organic produce via Misfits Markets at reduced prices.
What is Misfits Market?
Misfits Market describes their company on their website: “Where some see ugly produce and throw it away, we see delicious food that just needs some love. Misfits sources high-quality, fresh produce from our partners. You choose your box size and delivery frequency. We deliver your box of Misfits to your door each week.”
Misfits Market is an incredible company that helps reduce food waste while being a grocery delivery service for specific communities.
My first order brought me a box full of produce. Here is my honest Misfits Market review. When I first opened the box up – a HUGE bunch of fresh, organic imperfect produce (including carrots ready to be eaten by my 5 year old who loves carrots) was waiting for my family!
Here is the complete list of grocery items that came in my most recent Misfits size box. These produce items saved me time from going grocery shopping and I cant wait to cook with this produce:
- 3 apples (don’t know what kind)
- 1 bunch of fresh Italian parsley
- 2 small oranges
- large bunch of carrots
- 6 baby potatoes
- 1 small butternut squash
- 9 sweet potatoes
- 2 yellow squash
- 2 green zucchini
- 1 eggplant
- 2 avocados
- 2 small Radicchio heads
**UPDATE AS OF 1/3/22
You CAN select your own produce now for your boxes and no longer need to rely on mystery boxes each time you order. They also offer a much WIDER range of organic food products such as coffee, pasta, gluten free items, dried fruits, nuts, and more!
Is there a Misfits Market Promo Code? Yes there is!
Normally the cost of this Mischief box (priced at $19) including shipping is $28.25 But with your first box, you can get 25% off when you use promo code COOKWME-GS2WMB.
My first box cost me $23.35, including shipping, with that 25% off discount.
This will start your subscription service with this produce delivery service company, helping local farmers.
Is Misfits Market Actually Cheaper?
I decided to see just how much of a savings I truly was getting by “eating ugly” with this Misfits Market subscription box and did a full price compare to Wegmans: (prices vary by store and what is in season and price matched the best I could compared to the amount I received in the box).
If this was my first box, (with the 25% discount) I saved about $10! If I didn’t get the 25% off, then it would have only been about a $5 savings. But each box is different and I know another box I price compared in my Facebook Live video I did here – the savings were more.
Standard Prices of Produce at Wegmans Grocery Store.
- 3 organic apples = $2.99
- 1 bunch of fresh italian parsley = $1.49
- 2 small oranges = $1.90
- large bunch of carrots = $1.49
- 6 baby potatoes = $2.50
- 1 small butternut squash = $1.69
- 9 sweet potatoes = $6.99
- 2 yellow squash = $3.98
- 2 green zuccini = $3.98
- 1 eggplant = $2.49
- 2 avocados = $4.50
- 2 small Radicchio heads = $2.75
Total = $32.77 (Wegmans) vs my first box = $23.35 (savings of about $10).
The first time you get a box, you’ll get a card explaining what’s in the box, a place to find recipes applicable to the produce in your box, and about its very eco-friendly packaging!
The produce inside the box changes each week. You may find bell peppers, carrots, celery, brussels sprouts, ugly fruits and more.
(Again, as of 2021, you can now CHOOSE what produce goes into each of your boxes!)
Overall – here is what I like about Misfits Market:
- It’s cheaper organic fruits and vegetables compared to Wegmans, and it’s delivered right to my door.
- The packaging is very eco-friendly with dissolvable padding, recyclable plastic or compostable “plastic” and a recyclable box. Even the ice pack it came with was labeled “drain friendly.” So I just poured the contents down the drain because I didn’t need another ice pack.
- I can now select which fruits and vegetables and other healthy products go in my box, which was not a feature offered when I first tried it.
- It’s a great way to get fresh, organic produce in the middle of winter at reduced prices – especially when it’s not in season.
- It forces me to try new recipes that I may not otherwise try. For example, I chopped up the Raddicio leaves and sauteed them in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper and it was really yummy! (I liked it anyway – my kids hated it though because Raddicio is more bitter than spinach.)
What I wish was a bit different about Misfits Market:
- Sometimes I don’t use all that I get – for example from one box I used only 3 out of 7 limes I got in one box. I couldn’t use them up before they went bad. I got a bunch of Italian parsley that I may only use once (I need an herb dehydrator) – before the majority of the bunch wilted and went into the compost pile.
- Since this produce has been set aside as not the highest quality, it for sure spoils faster than if I were to buy fresh produce from my store that day. So you need a plan to use what your order the same week it arrives, otherwise freeze it if you can.
- The sweet potatoes that came in my most recent box, two of the small ones had enough holes in them (from bugs?) that I just put them in the compost pile. An ugly shaped sweet potato I’m fine with. But if it’s “ugly” because it has bugs in it – no thanks!
In terms of specific recipes I made using my produce from this last box, I spontaneously added Zucchini Corn Chowder to the menu that week to use up the zucchini, small potatoes, and Italian parsley.
Where is Misfits Market Based?
Misfits Market is a Philadelphia-based fresh product delivery service that works with local farms to sell produce misshaped, ugly, or produce that could not sell in the local grocery store. Currently Misfits Market serves the Eastern Seaboard including:
- North Carolina
- New Hampshire
- .Rhode Island
- West Virginia
- South Carolina
- New York
- New Jersey
And growing to other delivery areas.
The Ugly Side of Misfits Market:
Even though I had a great experience with Misfits Market, there are others who have not had the same experience.
Some of the biggest complaints by past customers include the boxes arriving destroyed, moldy produce, or there is too much of one produce (such as ginger or lemons) and not enough of a variety.
I know Misfits Market has gone through some incredible transformations and growth over these last few months, which often brings changes that ultimately help us get the best produce.
Overall, if you are looking for a way to save on organic produce, then you must give this a try! Even if you don’t use everything in the box, it’s healthy, organic, and will save you time and money from shopping in the store.
Use Promo Code COOKWME-GS2WMB
Best Way To Cook Your Produce:
I own the Minimalist Baker’s Everyday Cooking cookbook and am making a black bean & sweet potato corn chip dip to use up the sweet potatoes. (FYI – sweet potatoes are ridiculously easy to make in an Instant Pot!) I’m also trying Vegan Crunchy Baked Eggplant Bites later this week.
How Do I Cancel My Misfits Market Account?
You can cancel your account online at any time up to the day before the next recurring order in scheduled by visiting the Misfits Market Website and visit the customer account page. You’ll then click cancel subscription in your invoice tab, or you can contact support (at least two days) before the next recurring order is scheduled to invoice.
Have you tried Misfits Market? What has been your experience (let me know in the comments below)!