Here is a great summer recipe you will want to try – Rice & Beans and Grilled Sausage & Veggies with Cilantro Lime Marinade!
Here are the ingredients list that you can purchase at Wegmans:
*Wegmans Brown Long Grain, 16 oz – $0.99
*Wegmans Black Beans, Caribbean Flavored, 15.5 oz – $0.99
(The caribbean flavor = beans in a garlic/lime sauce)
*Gianelli Turkey Sausage, 6 links – $5.49/lb (used only 3 links in the recipe) = $2.75
*Large Red Onion – $0.99
*Wegmans Super Sweet Cherry Tomato – $3.99
*Wegmans Marinade, Cilantro-Lime, 16 fl oz – $2.49
*Fresh Cilantro (out of my herb garden)
Total = $12.20 (feeds 6) = $2.03 per person
I used a grilling basket like this one for this recipe!
- 1 cup of Wegmans Brown Long Grain
- 1 can of Wegmans Black Beans, Caribbean Flavored
- 3 links of Gianelli Turkey Sausage
- 1 Large Red Onion
- 1 package of Wegmans Super Sweet Cherry Tomato
- ½ of the bottle of Wegmans Cilantro-Lime Marinade
- Fresh Cilantro
- Pre-cook the sausage by boiling 3 links for about 5-7 minutes to be sure it is cooked through (this makes for easier grilling later on.)
- Cut the sausage into bite size pieces and combine with cut onion and tomatoes. Cover the mixture with half of the bottle of Wegmans Cilantro Lime Marinade, and let sit for 30 min.
- Cook one cup of rice with 2 cups of water for 30 minutes (while sausage and veggies marinate).
- Add the Caribbean flavored black beans to the cooked rice and heat through.
- Grill the marinated sausage, onion and tomatoes for about 10 min, until onion is tender. I used a veggie grilling basket. You could also cook on skewers. Since the sausage was pre-cooked, no need to worry about over grilling the veggies waiting for the meat to cook. Grilling the pre-cooked sausage at this stage crisps it up and gives it some nice grilling flavor with the onions.
- Serve grilled sausage and veggies over the black bean/rice mixture
- Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and enjoy!
If you try this, be sure to come back and tell us what you think in the comments!
Find more easy frugal recipe ideas over here!
Linked up on Milk & Cuddles!